Monday, May 4, 2009

Royal Playhouse

The Royal Playhouse seen from the Opera


The Royal Playhouse with the Opera in the background

Just opposite the Opera from yesterdays post a new Royal Playhouse opened in 2008 as a supplement to the Royal Theater. As with the Opera, the Royal Theater needed new space. They had for quite some years been using ad-hoc facilities around town to be able to perform more intimate plays, because the old scene at The Royal Theater was just too big for this kind of plays.

It was decided in 2001 to build the new playhouse on Kvæsthusbroen at the harbor, construction began in 2004 after an international architect competion, which was won by Danish architects Boje Lundgaard and Lene Tranberg, and it was finished in 2007.

The playhouse got three small scenes and a restaurant plus of course all the needed space for the actors and technicians. What it lacks is parking space. The Ministry of Culture wanted a new parking house build underground but Copenhagen City blocked that. A perfect, empty space right next to it was used for a short time but is now cordoned off. What it will be used for I don't know, but probably not for parking. The result is chaos at night when people park their cars in an area already crawling with cars. That's Copenhagen traffic planning for you!

This playhouse was praised as a beautiful new addition to the harbor as opposed to the heavy criticism of the Opera. Well, again I have to disagree with the majority; I think it's too dark, too drab and too square. In my eyes it doesn't look inviting at all and it lacks appeal. I haven't been inside yet but I hope it's more colorful than the outside.

BTW for the observant reader; I've brought a photo of the theater before during my theme on reflections.

7 comments:

  1. It almost looks as though it is floating on the water! Interesting...Doesn't seem magnificent enough in it's external appearance to be a ROYAL theater...Very nice photo, btw...~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I immediately recognized it, that dark thing! If you could appreciate sincerity this building looks like a railway station to me. The location is superb, it is not so different from the Opera (which I like), but something doesn't work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmmm... I think the positives are: (1) it's location by the harbour (I agree with Sniffles & Smiles - I like the effect of it seemingly floating on water)... and (2) its ability to capture light and dark (although, as you point out it seems to do more of the latter)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting and perhaps unique, but I, too, find it dull...all straight angles, and dark...

    The water helps. Maybe in certain light it would look more appealing.

    But what the heck do I know?

    Some folks must have really thought it wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a lot about this building, so I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I obviously agree with you about this building; dull, without class and like a railway station. As Janine and CathM points out it has one quality; it seems to float on the water.

    I would have prefered a building with more curves and colors, but especially the colors are not really inn in Denmark. The buildings have to be in variuos shades of white, grey and black with the odd brown thrown in for good measure. Dull is the word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it built on the water? How would they built an underground parking area? Okey, the playhouse looks too modern for me, as I always imagine one as old, antique and full of ornament, but at least it accomodates more plays.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)