Thursday, May 7, 2009

A House Snake


This building in the Northern part of Ørestaden is twisting like a snake across the plain, and it is in fact called the Housing Snake. With 300 apartments it's the biggest apartment block at the time in the area and this one even got it's own day-care center. It's placed right next to the new IT University and the new building of Denmark's Radio (the Danish State Television and Radio), so for people working there it's only a short walk.


What's a little peculiar is the fact that it's got all three types of apartments in it; social housing, owner-occupied flats and co-operative flats. Furthermore it was designed by two different architect firms that had to cooperate.

I think it's a rather nice building with a bit of variety and nice green areas and canals around it. I would have liked a little less glass though but with this kind of space to the nearest neighbours it's not a big deal.

7 comments:

  1. Really a beautiful and interesting building and, as you say, logistically well placed and thought for the needs of various kind of citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I love the aesthetic.
    The 2nd building however looks like it was conceived as a model. The cutouts serve no purpose.

    Actually the overhangs also serve no purpose, unless you can get up there and there's a roof garden. The detailing looks nice though...so many European buildings are beautifully detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about this. I like the open spaces...and I'll bet the apartments are nice...but it's so "angular" -

    Your photos show it off very well, though. If I get to Denmark, I'm going to have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an interesting building! Denmark has the most glorious modern architecture, it appears! Must make a visit of it sometime!!! I am a lover of all things architectural! Your photos are fab! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kitty: The reason for the overhangs is that the buildings were designed and build by different companies. This was a way to join the buildings without too much fuss. As far as I know, there isn't any roofgarden at this building, but I'll show one, that has four later on.

    And to all; thanks for the comments. This Housing Snake building has been a compromise between cost and aesthetics, and I think it turned out pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know about cooperative flats before. You are right, this building is better than others you showed us, because it has greener area surrounding it.
    To answer you question about my next destination after Hiroshima, I was considering Orestaden, unfortunately you had revealed the apartment's price tag :). Istanbul. That's it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Henny: I've been to Istanbul twice and it's a great city. Very different from any other I've visited; bustling like an anthill with beautiful buildings (and ugly ones too) and very nice people. The best way to experience it is to get a local guide to show all the places away from the turists.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share a thought, an idea or an opinion by leaving a comment. I'll try to answer the comments as best I can, but you'll usually have to wait a day or two :-)